5/21/2006

Braves 2, D-Backs 1

ESPN.com - MLB - Box Score - Braves at Diamondbacks

Tim Hudson came up with a valiant pitching performance, the Braves managed two runs on only three hits, and they actually won one of these games, little thanks to Chris Reitsma.

Hudson allowed six hits and walked three, but struck out five and kept the ball in the park. He needed a lot of pitches -- 122, 69 for strikes -- to get through eight innings, or he probably would have started the ninth. As it was, Chris Reitsma came out to save it -- for the last time?

Reitsma got the first guy, but then allowed a walk. After a grounder (advancing the runner -- LaRoche and Reitsma just nipped the hitter) he then allowed a double to score the run and get the tying run to second. Exit Chris Reitsma, finally, as Bobby apparently at last figured out that he's just not any good. I figured Remlinger would get first crack, but Bobby went with McBride instead. He walked the first guy (on a 3-2 pitch) but struck out Luis Gonzalez to end the game. I figure closer will be a combination of Ray (who was warming up) and McBride for the moment.

The Braves got their runs in the sixth. Hudson led off with a walk, Marcus bunted him to second, then Renteria doubled Hudson home. He went to third on a wild pitch, and after Chipper was walked Andruw drove him home with a groundout. The only two other hits were by Francoeur (who later actually drew a walk) and by Andruw (a double leading off the ninth, but they stranded him at third).

Brayan Pena is up, taking the place of Travis Smith, who was DFAd. If McCann is ready by then I assume Pena will go back down when Horacio comes up... On to San Diego.

11 Comments:

At 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Mac...

WAIVE REITSMA! I think the WBC killed him for good.

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Alex said...

No, silly. He was dead before.

 
At 8:21 PM , Blogger Alex Remington said...

I actually wouldn't mind giving the job to Kenny Ray, as Michael Ironside said in Starship Troopers, until he's dead or we find someone better.

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember what inning it was Mac, but the Braves most certainly did not get their runs in the second inning.

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Mac said...

I know that. Why would you think I didn't know that?

I guess it's because I had "second" in the next line. I'll fix it.

 
At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Starship Troopers...

 
At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mets won unfortunately."

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to be upset at all over this, because it was at the expense of the Yankees, who left something like 21 men on base. This made me able to sit through 3 hours of Joe Morgan, which I haven't done in awhile.

The most encouraging thing today was Bobby's quick hook with Reitsma. It's obvious he's come to the conclusion that it's time to stop babying Reitsma's confidence at the expense of the team. Kudos.

 
At 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenny, it's obvious that your loyalties don't lie with the Braves if you aren't upset by a Mets victory.

 
At 12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that if one is a Braves fan, one is perfectly entitled to virulently hate both the Mets and the Yankees, and when they play each other, you inevitably have to hate one of them more. 1995-96ish is the earliest I can remember anything baseball-related, and that memory is deeply scarred by Jeffrey Maier and subsequently the 1996 World Series. For an 8-year-old, that's powerful stuff. Sorry, Stu. I just can't hate the Mets as much as the Yankees. I don't think I can hate anything as much as the Yankees. I don't want the Mets to win, but if the alternative is the Yankees winning, I can't help it. They've both hurt us, and I remember the Yankees better. It's not rational, but there you have it.

 
At 1:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do realize that a Mets win hurts the Braves *this season*, correct? I mean, I, too, wish the Yanks hadn't beaten us in 1996...but in 2006, I'm a little more concerned with our competition in 2006. Hence, I want the Yankees to beat the Mets--who, you'll recall, are in our league and in our division--every single time they play. Then again, I'm not also a Red Sox and Orioles fan....

 
At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes me 10 minutes just to find this site anymore. I want bravesjournal back! Bravesbeat.com is probably the lamest site I've ever seen. "Hawk..."? WTF! I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on! One more thing: Reitsma Sucks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home